Thursday, September 18, 2008

Anger is an Energy....


I have to distance myself from the news cycle for a little while. Things are just becoming too distorted and weird. My seething hatred of McSame/Qualin was minimally abated by news of the collapse of America’s financial markets. That is just beyond fucked up. I’m actually getting pleasure out of seeing these two political clowns get a minor comeuppance in the media on the back of a devastating financial crash unrivaled since the great depression. What is happening to me? I used to pride myself on a rational thought process, yet lately any sleazy cheap shot at the Republican ticket has the same effect on me as a hit of crack does on a dope fiend. Why am I letting the politics of smear have an emotional effect on my otherwise analytical thinking?
It has recently dawned on me that we as a society – aside from huge portions of us just too stupid to live – have been overly processed with images, slogans and sound bytes that are now, irrevocably I’m afraid, taking control of our capacity for free will while we in turn disconnect ourselves from humanity. How many times a day do I sit through commercial after commercial telling me I’m too fat, I have acne, sexual dysfunction, bad breath, age spots, a dead-end career? The list is infinite. Americans are suffering from the worst inferiority complex on the planet and at the same time we beat our chests and mindlessly shout out, “USA, USA, USA” with one finger on the big red button. This insanity has to stop otherwise the dream and promise of America will implode. Fast.
Things are so disconnected, and people are so far removed from reality, that petty inconsequential bull shit from all directions has managed to skew any semblance of reasonable discrimination. Everything appears to have equal footing regardless of the obvious inequities staring us right in the face. No, the O’Reilly Factor does not have the same journalistic integrity as The News Hour with Jim Lehrer. No, “executive experience” does not trump constitutional law. And fuck no, emergency contraception is not abortion. Yet here we are, a society of dim wits having bogus information spoon fed into our every orifice. Did you know that 1 in 5 Americans has genital herpes? Rome is burning.
Perhaps I’m wasting my time trying to distinguish my self from the rest of the herd. They seem to be having a pretty good time overall. The anger that has sustained me for so long and enabled me to remain alert and informed is beginning to lose its fire. Maybe the flood of useless psychobabble and distorted images is just what’s needed to once and for all wash over my overburdened brain and extinguish the flame. A baptism of sorts. Oh the irony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you need to put up some new material. You will probably get some good stuff after tonight's debate. I don't know if Barack Obama will just be "getting down with his bad self" considering John McCain probably isn't showing up. This will make for great comedy, and a lot of potential fear and anxiety for the nation too.