Tuesday, January 08, 2008

When Scabs Attack – Welcome Back Boys…..

Those of you who know me know that I’m as pro-union/anti-corporate as Ralph Nader, but I’ll admit it, I stayed up last night to watch my two heroes return to the airways for an hour of revelry peppered with a dollop of poignancy and just a smidgen of Ativan worthy anxiety. Don’t hate me for being a scab. After two months of the proverbial cold shower and salt peter cure (in the form of Keith Olbermann), I was as excited as a drunken sailor with a two-day pass and a box of condoms. So much has happened that should have been skewered since November 1. Hell, just in the last couple of weeks Bill O’Reilly was thrown out of an Obama rally by the secret service for overstepping his boundaries (and apparently trying to step on the 6’8” Obama security detail), Sean Hannity was expelled from a restaurant by angry Ron Paul supporters furious over Fox News’ decision to not allow the popular congressman his rightful place among the Republican lunatics to debate. And, oh my God – CHUCK NORRIS?? Are you freaking kidding me?
The boys, of course, had their moments of glad grace – Jon’s “unibrow of solidarity” with the writers, changing the show’s name from “The Daily Show” to “A Daily Show,” Stephen shredding a script and having the cameras zero in on the wordless teleprompters and wondering why his telepathic brain messages weren’t showing up on the monitors as they always have in the past. The anti-union rant, the melancholy realization that there would be no “Word.” Though still hysterical, it was hard to watch. I can’t imagine what it was like to perform.
I’m all for the writers. Their argument is legitimate and they aren’t asking for all that much. However, it might behoove the WGA to make some sort of deal with Comedy Central – which apparently tried and was dismissed because they’re owned by Viacom – to get the writers back for TDS/TCR so that they can do what they do best, which would most surely include informing the public of the royal screw the writers are getting by the AMPTP (my dyslexia shows that acronym to read ARMPIT, so that’s how I’ll refer to it in all future posts so as not to induce a headache). Because, let’s face it, Jon Stewart (who I like to refer to as the CEO of Generation X), and Stephen Colbert (a national treasure if ever there was one) are worth 50 Leno’s, 23 Letterman’s and maybe 7 Conan’s combined. The others, such as Jimmy Kimmel, Carson Daley and Craig Ferguson are hovering at the Tom Tancredo mark of significance.
Last night’s shows certainly weren’t the best I’ve ever had, but then again, you know what they say about sex and pizza.

No comments: